What You Need To Know About Solar Panels for Garages
Solar panels are so diverse that many individuals find ways to use them for different applications around their home, such as producing energy for their barn or garage. Installation of solar panels on your garage can be a fantastic investment. Especially for those who work from their homes and utilize their garage regularly. Solar panels for garages have a load of benefits that many homeowners never consider.
Keep reading to find out more about investing in solar panels for your garage.
How Do I Get Started?
Renovating the garage is the ideal time to consider installing solar panels. However, there are some things that you need to consider, such as which direction your garage is facing. The placement of solar panels greatly impacts the output. You want to ensure that the panels will be able to capture sunlight throughout the day.
Budget is another thing that you have to be conscious of. You’ll need to meet with a qualified solar installer and discuss your project unless you decide to do your installation. Many individuals are happy to research and learn how to efficiently install their own panels. However, if you are one of those people, you may want to consider the time investment of making that decision – it is not a quick route – and, if you’re not one of those people, then it is best to leave the installation to a professional.
Consider how much solar power you will need, how much space you have for solar panels in the garage, and what kind of panels will be best for your project. Your installer will be able to determine what will work best for your budget while giving you the electrical power you require.
Cost Of Solar Panels For Garages
The type of panels that you decide to go with, how much you spend, and the time it takes to install it will all highly depend on your goals for your garage. There are many factors that you have to take into consideration. If you are just wanting to power a few lights in your garage, then you will just need a small number of panels to complete the job. However, if you are looking to power tools, machinery, and batteries then you will need to invest more money.
Here are just some of the things that could affect the cost of your solar project:
- Amount of energy needed
- Type of roof
- The location that you live in
- Cost of panels and type of panels you choose to go with
- The installer that you hire
- Number of panels that you need
- On-grid or Off-grid
While figuring out the cost of your system may seem like a daunting task, a solar consultant will ask you a series of questions to come up with the best price estimate for your solar project.
Solar Power Savings Opportunities
In addition to saving money each month on your utility bills, there are other monetary incentives to going solar. Here are just some of the ways that you may benefit when choosing to install solar panels.
- Tax credits: There are federal tax credits for homeowners installing new solar systems which help individuals recoup a large percentage of the cost of their solar panels. The credit is 26% for solar power systems installed in 2020, but it reduces to a 22% refund for systems installed in 2021.
- Rebates: Many electric companies offer rebates and credits to existing customers when their solar systems produce more power than they use. Excess power is returned to the electric company. The homeowner will then either receive a check or a credit on their electric bill. These rebates are really helpful during bad weather or colder months of the year.
- SRECs: Solar Renewable Energy Certificates offer sizable income to solar system owners for every 1000 kW (kilowatts) of power produced by the system. The value of SRECs varies from state to state, but in some cases, it can exceed $300/month.
Installing solar panels on the roof of your garage is an effective way to reduce your electricity bills and decrease your dependency on grid-tie power. A garage that runs off solar power can be used in place of or in addition to conventional electricity. No matter which route you choose, installing solar panels will pay for itself in time and reduce your monthly utility bills.
How Many Panels Will I Need?
To calculate the number of panels that you need for your solar project, follow this simple formula: Multiply energy per hour by the number of peak sunlight hours. Divide by the wattage provided by the panel. The result will be the number of solar panels that are needed to power your garage. Do not worry, a solar consultant will be able to help you determine the number of panels that are needed for your project.
Garage solar systems are often small and put out more power than what is needed. However, there are many upsides to having too much power. You could use this additional power for your home, or allow it to go back to the grid and possibly get compensation from your electric company.
Can I DIY My Solar Garage?
It is possible to build your own DIY solar powered garage. However, it’s a demanding project that can quickly become overwhelming. To install your own solar panels, you need to be knowledgeable about electricity, batteries, and solar panel systems.
You will want to have an understanding of how charge controllers work, have a good handle on inverters, and understand what role the batteries play. Plus, you’ll need to make sure your system is properly outfitted for the climate you live in. For example, if you live in a place that experiences intense heat (like the Southern United States) you’ll want to install panels built to handle the hot climate.
Similarly, there are specific panels for extremely cold or damp environments too. In short, there’s much more involved in choosing and installing solar panels on your garage than just purchasing panels and affixing them to the roof. Weigh the pros and cons when contemplating installing your own solar panels for garages or hiring a professional.
Things To Think About
When you’re ready to purchase solar panels for garages, there are some important things to think about. You’ll want to remember:
- Solar panel systems are very heavy and are physically demanding to install by yourself. Find a solar professional who can help you through each step of the process and be able to see the project through until they are fully installed.
- If you aren’t sure what kind of solar panels would be best for your project, don’t hesitate to ask a professional. They can help you design a solar system that meets your electricity needs.
- Be careful about choosing the cheapest option. It can be tempting to cut corners, but systems with very low costs might not be able to meet your needs.
- Carefully inspect all warranties and replacement options before you purchase your solar power system.
- Hire a professional who has years of experience and can give you professional references to ensure the quality of their work.
- Think carefully about how much electricity you need for your solar-powered garage. Sometimes only minimal power is needed. Consider the size of your space, your power needs, and consult a professional before you make your final decision.
Harness Power is a Renewable Energy Company focused on providing effective and powerful solar solutions. Our expertise in the solar power field coupled with years of excellent customer service proves we can efficiently create a system that will last you for many years. If you’re considering installing a solar power system to your new or existing garage, contact us to set up a consultation. We can help answer any questions you might have about solar power, cost, savings, and project planning.